What is Tech Pack?
Tech pack stands for Technical Packet/Technical Package. It is also called as Specification sheet. It is a blueprint created by a technical designer which is used to make a final garment. It contains all the detailed information about size, measurements, stitch type, trims, label, stitch length, technical sketch, seam type, grading chart, tolerance and much more such information. So basically techpack acts as an instruction manual which helps in converting design into product. It helps manufacturers to understand the design in a better way and helps in minimizing the error and creating the best product
Goals of Tech Pack
Every tech pack can be considered as an ideal one if it meets the following goals:
- Helps in making sample and to quote the price.
- Explains the design to manufacturer to turn design into a product.
- Should help in minimizing samples, decreases cost and brings product to market faster i.e. decreases production time.
- Should help to make the entire product perfectly with almost no or few errors.
- Should track production development including changes made during revisions and any comments while producing it.
Why do We Need Tech Pack? / Why Tech Packs are Important?
Take a situation where you are given a photo of the finished product and told to create the same. Then you might be having a lot of questions while recreating the same. Like where to place the labels, pockets? And many more such questions.
Hence, this is the answer to the question why do we need Tech packs and why the tech-packs are so important.
The benefits of tech pack are following ones:
- Get error free sample: If the Tech pack contains a lot of details then it increases the chance of creating a sample of your original vision at the first go. Detailed Tech pack hence there are less chances of errors. Hence to decrease the chances of error 1 must create a detailed Techpack which is very easy to read.
- Get accurate price quotation: Manufacturer can easily get a clear idea what man, materials and machines are required if he knows each and every accurate detail about manufacturing the particular product and hence more the detailed tech pack is more accurate the price estimation is.
- Keeps manufacturers accountable: It helps in tracking the details while ordering trims, fabric and other things. It acts as a contract between manufacturer and dealer.
- Reference point for quality control: It helps to check the measurement once the garment is ready whether it is made according to the details. Also helps to check whether the labels, trims and many other things are correctly placed. Hence it acts as reference point for the quality control department.
- Saves money and time: Making tech pack is surely a critical task and takes a lot of time but once this detailed tech pack is made it surely helps saving a lot of time and money. Every step while creating the product has some loopholes which can be avoided with the help of this techpack.
What is Included in Tech Pack?
We can generally divide Tech pack into four parts:
- Specification sheet: The specification sheet contains all the technical details like technical sketch, measurements of product, and all the basic information like company’s logo, etc. Technical sketch shows the overview of the garment from each and every angle (front, backside) as it should help the pattern maker visualize the garment and the measurement chart contains all the required measurements.
- Constructional details: It contains all the information regarding construction of the garment like stitch type, SPI, embroidery, seam type, seam’s width, seam allowances and any other such details. It also includes diagrams with labeled parts like collar, fastenings, bar tacks, etc. It also contains details like brand components and their placement including labels, embroideries or small prints.
- Grading chart: Grading chart contains all the measurements required for increasing or decreasing the size of a particular product as it is to be produced in mass production. And with the grading chart it also contains the tolerances.
- Packing details: It contains all the details to make the visual representation of the garment more beautiful. Buyer is specific with details like packing materials, way of packing, no. of pieces per carton, and such details.
A product without a tech pack just seems impossible. Hence, it is important that we create a tech pack which is in detail and creates less error in a room. Surely creating a tech pack is quite a difficult job and needs a lot of investment of time and patience. These steps will surely help you to create a techpack which is easy to use and minimize the number of samples and obviously help you make a better techpack than the last one.